Register of Applications by Community Bodies to Buy Land
RoACBL will contain the applications by community bodies to buy abandoned, neglected or detrimental land. Use this site to view applications on the register.
The aim of the legislation is to bring abandoned, neglected or detrimental land into productive uses that benefit communities throughout Scotland.
This website is still in development (beta). We'll continue to work on adding features and functionality throughout 2018/19.
The register will consist of two parts:
- The first is a register of information and documents relating to applications for the right to buy abandoned, neglected or detrimental land.
- The second part will be a register, of applications for the right to buy land for further sustainable development. There is no set date for delivery of this part of the register.
Legal requirements for RoACBL
The website provides a facility to view information and documents relating to applications that have been made by community bodies to buy abandoned, neglected or detrimental land which have been registered in the Register of Applications by Community Bodies to Buy Land (RoACBL).
The legal basis of RoACBL is section 52 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2016 which establishes the register. The content of the register insofar as abandoned, neglected or detrimental land is concerned is prescribed in section 97F of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 (as amended).
Applications by Community Bodies for registration are made to Scottish Ministers who are responsible for receiving the applications and making the registration decisions. The duty on the Keeper to make the register publicly available is set out in section 52 of the 2016 Act. The Register must be available, at all reasonable times, for public inspection free of charge. Extracts of entries are available and cost £30 for a colour extract £16 for a black and white copy, subject to VAT.
The main objective of the register is to provide transparent and free to access, source of information relating to applications under Community Right to Buy Abandoned, Neglected or Detrimental Land.
Definition of application statusesThe current status of an application, indicated on the register, can be one of six states.
- Pending: is awaiting ministerial decision.
- RTB activated (right to buy activated): when Scottish Ministers have approved the application. This status will be in place until the community group purchases the land or withdraws the application, or the landowner successfully appeals Scottish Ministers decision.
- Withdrawn: when the community body has withdrawn the application
- Rejected: application has been rejected by Scottish Ministers
- Declined: application does not meet the criteria for consideration
- Completed: when a community body has purchased the land